Documents from the St. Joseph Estate, Mayaro
Scope and Contents
The first set of East Indian Immigrants arrived in Trinidad on May 30, 1845 to provide labour on the sugar estates as indentured labourers, including the St. Joseph estate in Mayaro. This estate was located in South Trinidad. Upon completion of their term of industrial residence, the immigrants were issued with certificates of completion. The collection has 11 of these certificates. The certificates were rolled and held in metal canisters. The two other documents are: a receipt for house and land tax 1882; and a vaccination certificate issued in 1872.
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Professor Brinsley Samaroo in 2007.
There are 8 metal canisters associated with this collection.
- Documents from the St. Joseph Estate, Mayaro
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script